Back to Blog.

How to Obtain Your Corporation’s Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Obtaining Your Employer Identification Number

Immediately after you start your new corporation, you will need to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number for your corporation.


A Federal Employer Identification Number, also known as a Tax Identification Number or EIN, is a unique number that all corporations must have for tax, employment and other administrative purposes.


Your corporation will need an EIN to open its bank account and for future tax filings and employment matters. In particular, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requires an EIN to identify your corporation for tax administration purposes.


There is no filing deadline to obtain an EIN for your corporation, however, you should plan on obtaining an EIN as soon as your corporation is formed.


Use the “EIN Assistant” on the IRS’ website to obtain your corporation’s EIN online, or complete and submit a paper copy of Form SS-4 (Application for Employer Identification Number).


To obtain an EIN online, fill out and submit an Online Assignment Form through the IRS’ website. Once you submit an Online Assignment Form, the IRS typically will assign an EIN to your corporation right away. Alternatively, you can submit a paper copy of Form SS-4 to the IRS via mail or fax. Within 2-4 weeks the IRS will send to you a follow-up letter entitled “Notice of Assignment of EIN” which will confirm your EIN and certain tax-related information.

Practical legal and business advice delivered directly to you!

We love sharing our secrets for business success, so sign up for our latest blog posts, articles and upcoming events.